perjantai 13. heinäkuuta 2012

5 Things I couldn't live without



I recently stumbled upon the blog of the lovely Le Professeur Gothique and really liked both her blog and the idea of her monthly homework assignments. The assignment for July was "to feature the piece of clothing, accessory or beauty product that you can't live without", which I'll be more than happy to comply with, but thought I'd also build upon a little to include 5 things in general that I couldn't live without.

~*~

Törmäsin jokin aika sitten hurmaavan Le Professeur Gothiquen blogiin ja ihastuin paitsi siihen myös hänen kuukausittaisiin "kotiläksyihinsä". Heinäkuun tehtävänä on esitellä vaate, asuste tai kauneustuote, jota ilman ei voisi elää. Tartuin siis innolla tehtävään, mutta päätin myös laajentaa sen aihetta hiukan, kattamaan 5 asiaa ylipäätään joita ilman en tule toimeen.


Ensimmäinen esine onkin listan ainoa, joka sopii haasteen alkuperäiseen määritelmään:
The first item on my list is also the only one that fits the criteria of the challenge:




My fan. I bought it on a school trip to Italy in 2005, and it's been a constant in my handbag ever since. I love battenberg lace and while pretty, this fan also has a rather sturdy wooden frame so it's been able to withstand the abuse over the years. Finland is a rather cool country, but I couldn't have withstood our mildly roasting summers without being able to whip this precious souvenir out whenever I needed to.

The background in these pictures is the print I made for the screen printing course at school this spring. This is the only fabric I haven't been able to think of a use for yet. It's a medium weight cotton and all that comes to my mind are kitchen towels, while the other fabrics and colour combinations I made have been able to jog my creativity quite a bit better.

~*~

Viuhkani. Ostin sen lukion reissulta Italiasta vuonna 2005 ja se on kuulunut laukkuni vakiovarustukseen siitä saakka. Rakastan battenberg-pitsiä ja vaikka viuhka on nätti ja siro, siinä on myös vankka puurunko, joka on kestänyt menossa mukana. Vaikkei Suomi kovin kuuma maa olekaan, tämä matkamuisto on ollut suuri helpotus varsinkin viime kesinä.

Taustana näissä kuvissa on koulun kankaanpainokurssilla suunnittelemani printti. Tämä on ainut kurssilla painamani kangas, jolle en ole vielä keksinyt käyttöä. Se on keskipaksua puuvillaa enkä keksi muuta kuin tehdä siitä keittiöpyyhkeitä, vaikka muut painamani kankaat ja väriyhdistelmät saavatkin mielikuvituksen laukkaamaan vähän paremmin.

Toiseksi esineeksi, jota ilman en voisi elää, voisin valita koko koneeni, mutta koska kaikki muut osat ovat enempi tai vähempi vaihdettavissa vastaaviin, valitsin sen sijaan hiireni:
For my second item that I couldn't live without I could choose my whole computer but since all the other parts are more or less replaceable by other similar parts, I chose my mouse:


It's a Naga by Razer and I. LOVE. IT! It has so many buttons on it, I can bind pretty much every ability my druid has in World of Warcraft to it by only using shift and alt as modifiers and my hand nestles so comfortably on it, it's like it was molded for me. This truly is a mouse built for MMOs and I'm sure that if it ever dies, I'll have to replace it with another one just like it. I've never found it very practical to bind things to buttons on my keyboard, but the thumb grid on this feels very intuitive. I've had it a couple years now and the only sign of wear is the partly missing coating on one of the index finger buttons where my nail has worn it.

~*~

Se on Razerin Naga ja Rakastan sitä! Siinä on niin monta nappia, että saan World of Warcraftissä bindattua siihen suunnilleen kaikki druidini abilityt käyttämällä shiftiä ja alttia modifiereina, ja se sopii käteen kuin olisi tehty minua varten. Tämä on todellinen MMO-hiiri ja jos se joskus sattuisi kuolemaan, minun lienee pakko hankkia uusi samanlainen. En ole koskaan tykännyt bindata juttuja näppikseen, mutta tämän peukkunapit vain ovat tosi intuitiiviset käyttää. Minulla on ollut tämä hiiri nyt pari vuotta ja ainut vaurio on toinen etusormen napeista, jonka pintaa kynteni on kuluttanut.

Myös listani kolmas esine on elektroniikkaa, ompelukoneeni Skynet:
Also the third item on my list is electronics, my sewing machine, Skynet:



So named by my boyfriend after the artificial intelligence in Terminator, because apparently that's what it reminds of with all its beeping. For a home machine, the Smarter by Pfaff C1100 Pro is quick, heavy (=stable), it has dual feed system and knee lift, and it has more stitches than I'll ever have use for. I design and make things to relax and to channel my vision, I NEED to have a sewing machine. (Don't mind the mess, I'm in the middle of clearing my flat and sorting all my sewing stuff.)

~*~

Siksi sen nimesi miesystäväni, jonka mukaan sen piipitys tuo mieleen Terminaattorin tekoälyn. Kotikoneeksi Smarter by Pfaffin C1100 Pro on nopea, tukeva, siinä on kaksoissyöttö ja polvinostin ja se osaa tehdä enemmän erilaisia ompeleita kuin mille minulla tulee koskaan olemaan käyttöä. Suunnittelen ja teen rentoutuakseni ja toteuttaakseni itseäni, minulla TÄYTYY olla ompelukone. (Älkää välittäkö sotkusta, minulla on siivous ja kaikkien ompelutavaroideni järjestely kesken.)

Taidan tosiaan olla aika teknologiahörhö, mutta neljäskin juttu listallani on teknologinen saavutus, nimittäin kännykkäni:
I think I really am a gadget freak, but the fourth entry is a gift of technology as well, my smart phone:


Desire HD from HTC. It's my phone, my mp3 player, my mini laptop, camera, radio, calculator, calendar, alarm clock, game console and (a small, emergency) portable HDD. Everything that just 10 years ago would've easily filled a backpack. Isn't that great? I don't have to be able to log in to FB every five minutes, I don't text people very often, but it's nice to have something to do while waiting for my to-go-order to be done at the local kebab restaurant, or to fill a work day by listening to a nice audio book while sewing, or to simply be able check a certain shop's business hours whenever I find it useful.
~*~

HTC:n Desire HD. Se on puhelimeni, mp3-soitin, miniläppäri, kamera, radio, taskulaskin, kalenteri, herätyskello, käsikonsoli ja (hätävarana pieni) ulkoinen kovalevy. Kaikki laitteet samassa, jotka vielä kymmenen vuotta sitten olisivat helposti vieneet repullisen tilaa. Eikö olekin mahtavaa? Ei minulla ole pakkoa päästä Facebookkiin joka viides minuutti, enkä edes tekstaa ihmisille kovin usein, mutta on kiva olla jotain, millä tappaa aikaa odotellessa ruokaansa paikallisessa kebab-paikassa, tai millä kuunnella työpäivän ajan hyvää äänikirjaa samalla kuin ompelee tai vaikka voida tarkistaa tietyn liikkeen aukioloajat koska vaan.

Viimeinen vaan ei todellakaan vähäisin, paheeni salmiakki:
Last but definitely not the least, salmiac, salt liquorice:



The national sweet of Finland. There are very few kinds that I don't love, and a great many that, alas, I can't seem to find regularly anywhere. The pacifiers in the top left corner are my ultimate favourite kind, but they're rarely sold unless it's among loose candy. Which is kind of fine, since I don't really like any ready-made assortments anyway. They always have either the wrong kind of salmiac, or the wrong kind of fruit sweets, or the ratio is way off. 1 black for every 10 colored ones, c'mon! Picking the right kind of combination of salmiac, fruits and (very little) chocolate and fudge is careful science. There must be a good balance of salty bits, sour bits, refresher bits, and "stoppers", the kind of sweets after which it's easy to take a break from stuffing one's face :D.

~*~

Suomen kansalliskarkki, tietenkin. On harvoja sortteja, joista en tykkää, mutta harmikseni lukuisia, joita ei tunnu löytyvän mistään. Ylävasemman tutit ovat ehdotonta suosikkisalmiakkiani, mutta niitä löytyy harvoin muuten kuin irtokarkkeina. Mikä on oikeastaan ihan jees, koska en tykkää valmiista pusseista kauheasti muutenkaan. Niissä on aina joko vääränlaista salmiakkia tai vääränlaisia hedelmäkarkkeja tai niiden suhde on aivan pielessä. 1 salmiakki per 10 hedelmää, no huhhuh! Oikean yhdistelmän valikointi - salmiakkia, hedelmäkarkkeja ja (pieni määrä) suklaata ja toffeeta - on tarkkaa tiedettä. Pussissa täytyy olla tasapainoisesti suolaista, kirpeää, raikasta ja "stoppareita", karkkeja, joiden jälkeen on helppo pitää taukoa mässäilystä :D.

5 kommenttia:

  1. I used to have a parasol made out of the same type of lace and I loved it! Great contribution to the homework assignment!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Salt licorice? Ok, I'm intrigued. I'm a HUGE fan of licorice and this is something I need to try!!! :D

    I love the fabric design you made in screen printing. VERY, VERY nice. Forget the towels -- how many yards do you have? It would make a really cool, summer weight Victorian bustle skirt. This kind of print was very popular here in the USA during the early part of the 19th century.

    Thanks for participating!

    VastaaPoista
  3. Thanks, lil' bit :). I have/had one too, but I broke the mechanism that keeps it open. It's a shame, but I can't think of a way to fix it.

    Thank you, professor :). Salt liquorice is a bit of an acquired taste, but once you start liking it, you can't go without it, kind of like coffee.

    I only have about 5 yards of the fabric, so it wouldn't be quite enough for a full skirt, at least not on its own. But maybe I'll upload the original file to spoonflower.com some day and order fabric from there. I've had a bit of an obsession lately for Donna Karan style draped but structured dresses, and I'll probably make something like that in a blue jersey I also printed with the same print. Maybe this could work in one like that as well...

    VastaaPoista
  4. I definitely should have put my sewing machine in my post-sewing is my life, and I missed it terribly while I was overseas! And you're making me think a sturdy fan would be a great investment-I had one that I liked but it was just cheap plastic and broke last summer. The fabric would make a very pretty ruffled skirt-if you have five yards, you could make a Lolita-style bell skirt with a ruffle on the bottom! Something like this, maybe? (Don't mind my nosiness, I can't resist making crafty suggestions to people! :P)
    http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet/the-1817/Sweet-Country-Lolita-cln--Rose/Detail

    VastaaPoista
  5. Salmiac is truly one of the things I miss the most from living in finland!

    VastaaPoista