perjantai 12. heinäkuuta 2013

Rosy shorts and some newly found treasures

Here are a couple of outfit pictures with one of my more recent sewing projects: a pair of pin-up inspired shorts.


Shirt: second hand
Shorts: yours truly
Tights: Transparenze, sold by Kisu Korsi & Stockmann
Shoes: Mekka/Tapas
I fell in love with this rose printed stretch cotton the minute I saw it. It was a little too sturdy for a skirt (to my liking) and a little too loud to my taste for a jacket and we'd just finished drafting our basic trouser block at school, so shorts it was. I love the high waisted styles of the 50s and the sailor flaps with two rows of buttons so this pair kind of designed itself. The fabric was quite costly at 26€/m, but I only needed about 60cm for these.

I wore this today for a day out visiting fabric stores to scout for potential materials for a bespoke piece, and to a second-hand store (Kontti). They were having a 50% off sale on all clothing items, but unfortunately, I couldn't find any that I liked. I never seem to do at that particular store. But I did have quite a bit of luck with other items:


The peacock feather fan with a wooden handle was a real bargain at 2€ :). Even if I were to strip it and use the feathers for other projects (which I won't!) it would've been worth at least 5 times that. It's even two sided with 46 eyes in total. The belt I bought mostly for the buckle. I really like the look of gun metal and jet, even if the belt itself is kind of an unflattering length on me. I might just re-use the buckle somewhere else.

The bag almost made me squeel aloud when I spotted it :). I used to have this bag in a bit larger size and it was my favourite for a really long time. I'd probably still use it if its handles hadn't broken from carrying too much stuff in it. It's made of wonderfully soft velvet with faux leather handles and decoration. One of the beads on the decoration has fallen off but I'll just pry one off my old bag and glue on it and it'll be good as new. I never had the heart to throw the old one away even though it's broken beyond repair...

I also found a nice old umbrella with a crooked handle for a couple of euros that I might strip of the fabric and use the frame to make myself another parasol later on. One of the fabric stores also still had a couple rolls of the cheap muslin that I've been using (it's kind of hard to find cotton for under 3€ here). So all in all, I had a really good day today :).

4 kommenttia:

  1. Very nice shorts, and the fabric works beautifully on them. So happy to hear about your umbrella project, I thought I was the only one who turned them into parasols <3

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you :).

      The umbrella's fate is still a bit undecided, but it might well become part of my 1880's ensemble to be :).

      Poista
  2. Noista shortseista tuli kyllä todella kivat! Itse en ole oikein koskaan tykännyt shortseista mutta nuo tekee kyllä poikkeuksen :D Istuu todella kivasti sun päälle ja kangas näyttää ihanalta <3

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Kiitos :). Tykkään itekin siitä miten naiselliset niistä tuli tosta kankaasta tehtynä. Kiva kokeilla välillä sellasiakin vaatekappaleita, mitä ei yleensä tulisi pukeneeksi päälleen :).

      Poista