sunnuntai 14. heinäkuuta 2013

Book worming


I started last week with a visit to the city library in hopes of finding some of the books that were recommended on a historical sewing blog. Either the American Dutchess or Historical Sewing, I'm not entirely sure, but they're both wonderful resources. Anyway, I toted home about 8 kilograms worth of costuming knowledge.


Ateljeepukujen eleganssia - A touch of Elegance: the Art of Couture Clothing by Tanja Rovio
&
Costume in Detail by Nancy Bradfield


Costume in Detail is a wonderful source book with drawings of dresses from the period 1730-1930.


A Touch of Elegance details the history of couture dresses in Finland from mid-19th century to 1970s.




Fashion Trims by Louise Turner
This one was kind of a let down. Most of the techniques were something I already knew or could have figured out easily on my own.



Two books on hats: Muodikkaita päähineitä (Design & Make Fashion Hats) by Karen Henriksen
&
Hattu - koriste ja tunnusmerkki (Hat, a decoration and a symbol, only available in Finnish) by Marja-Liisa Ripatti


Henriksen's book contains step by step instructions on how to make 14 kinds of hats. The styles didn't really capture my interest but the techniques will probably come in handy. It's kind of a shame the most interesting styles are only seen in pictures without instructions on how to achieve something similar.


The other hat book contains the history of hat making in Finland. I have to say I'm quite unimpressed with most of the styles pictured. If I do decide to pursue further aspirations in millinery, I'll probably turn to Lynn McMasters and other online sources instead of the library.



Underwear- Fashion in Detail by Eleri Lynn,
The Corset - A Cultural History by Valerie Steele
&
The Basics of Corset Building by Linda Sparks


Lynn's book shows beautiful detail shots from the collections of the Victoria & Albert Museum. My only problem with this one is that there's mostly only one photo per garment and most of the time I want to see more! The line drawings are quite helpful, though.


I haven't really read Steele's book yet but it seems to hold quite true to the title, a cultural history. Here pictured is a modern corset by Thierry Mugler.


Another picture from the same book. Most of the illustrations consist of period advertisements of corsets.

 

Sparks' book also holds true to the title. The instructions are clear and quite basic. I don't think I learned very much from reading through this one, but for someone who's never constructed a corset, it's probably a great help.


Over the last couple of days, I also discovered Original pre-1929 Historical Pattern Collection on Tumblr, which holds great many authentic patterns. Most of them don't have any instructions as those weren't needed in eras when everyone already knew how to construct a garment, but  most of them will still give a general idea of how to get started on a historical garment project.

Have any of you got any great literary aids or online sources to share?

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti